Thursday, July 21, 2011

What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up???

Chris and I are both starting new jobs and I hope that we are both starting new careers!  I was let go from my job at the end of Feburary and I am not going to lie- I was so glad!!  I had actually talked to Chris about quitting that same week because I was unhappy and it showed in my performance.  I had set things up so that this would not be too much of a problem financially and I decided I wanted to answer the question of "What do I want to be when I grow up?".  I started reading 48 Days To The Work You Love by Dan Miller and all of the sudden, I started to see that I wanted to begin looking for opportunities in non-profit.  I was also doing some volunteering at my church and that helped with this eye opening revelation as well!  After 2 months of looking, I began working for the American Cancer Society!  So far...I love it!!

Chris started working in construction a year after I moved to Nashville.  He was in commercial construction and, although that lasted longer the residential construction market, he was laid off.  He went to work for another company building Jett's Pizzas but after about a year, that dried up as well...not to mention the owner was pretty shaddy!  We had a lot of talks about that same question- "what do I want to be when I grow up?" and he finally told me that he had always wanted to be a fireman!!  I told him to go for it and Chris then began EMT school.  He graduated 4 months later and passed his boards with flying colors...then the real world hit!  EMTs make no money and getting on as a fireman takes time and connections!  So, while he was working on making this happen, he started working 16 hour days and trying to figure things out.  After I was let go, we went to a marriage night at church and volunteered to help with set up and greeting.  We greeted with another couple and the guys got to talking.  Turns out that after college, Chris had worked for a company doing the exact same thing that this guy did at a company here in Nashville!  His name was David Smith and the company is Steve Ward & Associates.  He told Chris that people do not normally leave but when they do it is when they retire.  He asked Chris that when that happens, would he like to come by and talk about working with them??  Chris said yes and next thing you know...he called, they interviewed and on July 18th he started his new job...his new career and for both of us it is just the beginning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment